Lasik Pre-op and Post-op
Lasik is one of the most popular vision correction options offered here at First Eye Care McKinney. Our team of eye care specialists are experienced in providing pre and post-operative care that is required to ensure Lasik surgery is a success. In order for everything to go smoothly, a comprehensive eye exam is the first step. During this examination of the eyes, your First Eye Care McKinney optometrist will determine if you are a good candidate for the corrective surgery. It is important to keep in mind that Lasik surgery is not appropriate for everyone. With this in mind, we encourage you to make an appointment at First Eye Care McKinney before you get your sight set on Lasik. We will determine if this surgery will be helpful for you, or if another option may be better.
If you are considering Lasik surgery, please speak to your Optometrist before scheduling the surgery. We generally like for our potential Lasik patients to switch to glasses full-time (if wearing contacts) because contact lenses can change the shape of the cornea. In order for us to see if Lasik will be beneficial for you, we will need to measure your cornea and see the right results.
Lasik Pre-op Instructions
A successful Lasik surgery will start with proper planning and calculated care. It is very important that every single patient understands what to expect during the surgery, as well as the potential risks and benefits. Some of the top considerations before moving forward with Lasik should include what a realistic expectation is, alternatives to Lasik, risks, and the effect of surgery on close up vision for those approaching 40 years of age. With that in mind, here are a few tips for preparing for Lasik surgery:
- Stop wearing contact lenses prior to the surgery (7 days for soft lenses, 2 weeks for toric lenses, and 2-3 weeks for rigid glass permeable lenses)
- Make sure someone can drive you home following the surgery
- Do not wear any makeup or perfume
- Eat a light breakfast
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing
- Arrive on time
Lasik Pre-op Instructions
Following Lasik surgery, keep the following in mind:
- Avoid rubbing or squeezing your eyes for at least one week
- Use your eye drops as instructed
- Wear sunglasses
- Wear the eye shield for the first three nights after the surgery
- Do not wear makeup for at least one week
- Do not play sports for at least one week
If you are interested in learning more about Lasik surgery and pre-op/post-op care, please contact First Eye Care McKinney today to schedule an appointment with one of our specialists.