One of the most difficult things about wearing eyeglasses is finding the right ones for you and your face. If you’ve never had to pick out glasses before, this may seem like a pretty simple task. However, anyone who has agonized over this decision can attest to just how trying it can be. There are many different factors that go into selecting the right glasses, from the shape of your face and color of the frames to the type of lenses. The number one key to choosing a flattering frame is looking for a frame that not only complements your face and skin tone, but your personality. Seems easy enough, right?
Which Glasses Are Right for You?
Here at First Eye Care McKinney, we have seen firsthand how challenging it can be to pick out eyeglasses. While you don’t need to be a fashion expert to know which look best on you, there are many other considerations. To start, finding the right glasses for your face shape can be stressful, to say the least. Let’s look at the different face shapes and the suggested style of frames for each:
- Round – If your face shape is round, opt for frames that are square or rectangular and a bit wider than your face. These types of frames can complement your features, making your face appear slimmer and longer. With this, steer clear of frames that are round, small, or rimless, as they will accentuate the roundness of your face.
- Oval – Men and women with an oval face shape should look for eyeglasses that have a strong bridge and that are wider than the broadest part of the face. Avoid frames that are oversized and will cover up the majority of your face.
- Square – People with a square face shape will look best with eyeglasses that site high on the bridge of the nose. Both oval and round frames will balance out their features, adding angles to a square face.
- Diamond – Individuals with a diamond face shape usually have a narrower chin and forehead. Because of this, frames that are wider than the cheekbones and sweep up (like cat eye glasses) are a great choice. Stay away from frames that are narrow or rectangular, as these can turn the focus to these slimmer areas.
- Heart-Shaped – If you have a heart-shaped face, look for glasses that will add balance to your wider forehead and narrow chin. People with these features often look great in glasses that are set low on the temples and have bottom heavy frame lines, as they will add width to the narrower parts of the face. Frames that bring attention to the forehead should be avoided.
Once you know what your face shape is and which frames will complement your features the best, you can move on to the fun part! Think about the kind of statement you want to make with your glasses – do you want to be bold and noticed, or are you looking for a pair of glasses that will bring your eye color to the forefront? The best part about selecting eyeglass frames are all the different options, and the fact you can go in many different directions. Gone are the days of simply settling on the first pair of glasses you find. Here at First Eye Care, we offer a wide selection of glasses, allowing you to choose the best option for your lifestyle and needs. Our eye care experts are here to help you pick the perfect pair, from the frame to the lenses and any other features.
When it comes to wearing eyeglasses, one of the other most important things to keep in mind is properly caring for them. Make sure to always store your glasses in a secure case and clean them with the proper cloth and solution. This will help ensure they remain in excellent condition for many years. If you have questions about how to care for and clean your glasses, please do not hesitate to contact us. To schedule an eyeglass exam with one of our experts, please contact First Eye Care McKinney today.