Are You a Good Candidate for LASIK? Our Mckinney Optometry Clinic Can Tell You
LASIK can be a very appealing prospect for many individuals who want to experience everyday visual clarity without the need for glasses or contact lenses. This laser-assisted procedure carefully sculpts your corneal tissues into a new shape that corresponds with your corrective vision prescription. But not everyone is an ideal candidate for LASIK, so how do you know whether it makes sense for you? You can get the guidance and recommendations you need from our optometry center, First Eye Care McKinney.
LASIK, which stands for laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis, is a remarkably quick, painless, and sophisticated procedure with a high success rate among qualified candidates. After the eye has been numbed, the laser creates a flap in the outer corneal layer, which is pulled back to reveal the inner corneal tissue. The inner tissue is then reshaped by the laser, and the flap goes back into place, where it heals without sutures. It all sounds straightforward enough, but you need to determine whether you're likely to be in the group that enjoys good results.
You may be a good candidate for LASIK if:
- Your eyes are generally in good health
- You're over 18 years of age (or, in some cases, 21)
- You have a relatively stable corrective prescription
- You're looking to correct mild-to-moderate nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism
- Your pupils fall into an acceptable size range
- You don't mind using lenses occasionally for specific tasks such as reading
You may not be a good candidate for LASIK if:
- You're pregnant
- Your prescription is still changing
- You have an eye condition such as dry eye, glaucoma, keratoconus, or uveitis
- You have an underlying health condition such as diabetes or an autoimmune disorder
- You have a complex or strong refractive error that cannot be completely corrected with LASIK
- Your corneal tissue is too thin for a flap to be made in it
How Your Optometrist Gan Guide Your Decision
Any optometrist on our team at First Eye Care McKinney, can perform a comprehensive eye and vision exam as a critical first step in determining whether LASIK is right for you. If you are a good candidate for LASIK, we will perform pre-operative evaluations and counseling, consult with a LASIK surgeon , and then provide post-operative care to help you optimize your results. We have found a team approach with a LASIK surgeon provides the overall best results for our patients.
Schedule a Consultation at First Eye Care McKinney
Whatever the wisest solution to your particular vision challenges may be, First Eye Care McKinney is standing by to offer it. Call (972) 540-2015 today to schedule a consultation!